While this is not football related, it should be included above the fold. Congratulations to Penn State's wrestling team, your 2013 NCAA Division 1 national champions (again)!
(Photo: Penn State Athletics)
– Penn State is currently ranked 30th in the 247Sports.com Composite Team Rankings with three players verbally committed for the Class of 2014. It has been a month since the last recruit gave his commitment to Penn State.
Success With Honor
The Penn State Lady Lions basketball team opened up the NCAA Tournament with an 85-55 victory over Cal Poly. The No. 3 seeded Lady Lions take on No. 6 seed and host LSU Tuesday in round two at 9:45 p.m.
The Big Ten is now 10-3 in the NCAA Tournament. Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois all have been bounced, with two of the three losses coming against the SEC, ironically enough.
In scores of other games…
– Florida Gulf Coast is America's new favorite flavor of the month. How long this ride lasts is anybody's guess at this point, but if we get just one more game of Dunk City, I'm cool with it. The first 15 seed to ever reach the Sweet 16 takes on the Florida Gators this week in a match-up made for Hollywood.
– Congratulations to the LaSalle Explorers on reaching the Sweet 16 for the first time since 1955. The Explorers held on to beat Marshall Henderson and Ole Miss, causing the brash Marshall to exit the court flipping off the crowd afterward. LaSalle takes on Wichita State Thursday night, with the winner playing for a trip to the Final Four against the winner of Ohio State vs. Arizona in Los Angeles. LaSalle is the final team in the big dance representing the state of Pennsylvania (Pitt, Bucknell, Villanova and Temple all made exits).
– Johnny Football getting pushy with assistant coach?
– Want some expansion talk?If you must, then drool over this nugget cooked up by the president of the University of Florida, who says an "ace jewel" could trigger further SEC expansion. Is this a battle for North Carolina? Or Florida State, of course…
Sign up for our Newsletter!
Subscriptions are already coming in for our newly announced FREE newsletter, which will first be released in the first week of April. Don't be left out and subscribe today!